Liberty, New York is a family-oriented community of about 10,000 residents that is comprised of the town and village of Liberty as well as the hamlets of Ferndale, Parksville, White Sulphur Springs and Swan Lake. We are centrally located in Sullivan County and situated on Route 17/I86; only 100 miles northwest of New York City.
Living here enables you to enjoy the rural landscape and yet remain close enough to the greater New York City area. For those who do not live here, it has become a perfect weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of the urban machine.
The Liberty Museum & Arts Center offers a full schedule of activities presenting both the artistic nature of our community along with exhibits of historical importance. We are home every summer to the region’s only Civil War Reenactment which draws crowds from all around the tri-state region. Our Independence Day festival is one of the most attended activity and commerce festivals in the region, drawing thousands of people to experience a day of outdoor commerce, fun and spectaculer fireworks.
Our schools are exceptional. Our Parks & Recreation offers numerous programs and activities to our children. Our parents are extremely devoted and have ensured the continued success of our proud Little League Baseball program and AYSO Soccer Leagues. Our community also hosts many houses of worship, where all are invited regardless of denomination.
Our history-rich area has a great deal to offer, all within minutes of Liberty, including:
- A world-class performing arts center and rock and roll museum at Bethel Woods, the site of the 1969 Woodstock festival
- “A little Vegas in your backyard” at Monticello Gaming and Raceway featuring over 1,000 slots, exciting harness racing, dining and live entertainment.
- “Broadway Productions” at the Forestburgh Playhouse
- “The Met: Live in HD” at Sullivan County Community College
- Twenty-five excellent golf courses including the spectacular Big-G at the former Grossinger’s Resort
- We are host to a number of beautiful campgrounds and
- Beautiful lakes and ponds for relaxation, recreation and boating
- Minutes away from the Trout fishing capital of the world
All of this and more is set inside the scenic beauty of the Catskill Mountains; home of some of the most spectacular fall folliage in the Northeast and teaming with a diverse population wildlife including Bald Eagles, Blue Herons, black bear and deer.